Youth Coding League
Providing access and self-efficacy to all students.
The Youth Coding League is an innovative and complete learning program, built for schools and community organizations, that introduces 5th-8th graders to computer science and coding.
Built for under-resourced schools that want to prepare their students with future-ready skills so they can participate in high-wage jobs someday but lack the staff, training, and time to provide these opportunities to their students, the Youth Coding League has an eye toward raising awareness and access to tech education while introducing coding in a team sports environment to 5th-8th graders of all levels of academic achievement and ability.
As STEM dominates the highest-paid careers in the fastest-growing industries, equipping students for this new frontier is a tall ask for schools that are already asked to do so much. These students can't afford to wait while the traditional curriculum catches up.
The Youth Coding League is a fully packaged, co-curriculum program that runs during the Fall and Spring semesters. The structured regular season introduces coding concepts in a project-based learning environment. Each week, students apply the new coding concept to a project they are scored on, competing against themselves and the other coders and teams across the league on the leaderboards. In the competitive postseason series, students build group projects that enter rounds of virtual competition with big prizes on the line, while outfitted in YCL team jerseys.
Benefits of the
Youth Coding League
The Youth Coding League addresses computer science and programming education needs for students and schools alike.
- The computer science knowledge students learn in the Youth Coding League instill logical thinking and problem-solving skills, empowering students to take part in the digital workplace of the future.
- Computer science helps students improve across all academic disciplines, imparting resiliency, persistence, and systematic thinking.
- Computer science skills are widely applicable, 21st-century skills that contribute to a well-rounded, academically comprehensive student.
- The Youth Coding League addresses the lack of teachers on staff at schools with coding knowledge.
- The fully-packaged program resolves the lack of time and resources schools have to develop a STEM program for their students.
- The Youth Coding League provides an opportunity for students to participate in project-based learning while honing their STEM skills.
What Others Have to Say....
“I knew that if given a chance, my students could be successful not just at basketball but with keeping up with the 21st century skills they so desperately need. I also knew that THIS opportunity could open doors for my students. It could inspire, motivate, challenge, and change students.
“I wanted to take a moment to try and explain the changes I have seen in my students who were in YCL. I have students that I’ve barely heard their voices. Faces who just float in and out of school, doing well, but just going to the motions day to day. I have seen students with severe behavior and anger issues try and make good choices so they can stay in YCL. I’ve seen students who have had attendance issues WANT to come to school. I’ve seen students who barely smile burst into laughter! I’ve seen students who did not fit in find their niche. Students who were shy are more open and outgoing. Students who have had issues with their grades or keeping up with their work be proud of themselves because their grades have improved. Those are just some of the changes. Changes directly related to being in YCL.”
Impact Statements from Students
"I learned that I can do hard things."
"I learned that sometimes computer science can help people with problem-solving in school. I learned that I am smarter than I thought I was during YCL."
"I learned that computer science doesn't have to be hard or complicated if you take it in small steps."
"Some things I learned about myself, by coding, was that I am really smart and can do things I thought I would never do."
"The most important thing I learned was to not give up."
The Program Difference
Preparing for the future.
- Concepts, Skills, and Competition - Students learn key computer science principles in a weekly project-based regular season and showcase their new skills with teammates in a postseason competition against teams from across the U.S.
- Co-curricular - A program designed for in-school and after-school delivery, ensuring access to students of all levels of academic achievement.
- Relevance - Innovative, thematic curriculum presented in an approachable, research-based method that appeals to all students.
- Self-efficacy - Inspired by athletic team programs, YCL provides a personal connection for youth from varied interests and aptitudes that helps develop confidence and engagement.
While only 18 percent of computer science majors are women and 25 percent of IT jobs are held by women, about 50% of Youth Coding League coders are female.
25% of Youth Coding League coders are non-white/minorities. We’re committed to making sure that Youth Coding League teams look like the schools they’re in, and determined to make sure that minorities are equally represented in one of the fastest growing, highest paying industries.
70% of our Youth Coding League teams are located in rural communities with no other access to computer science than our program.
2/3s of the students on Youth Coding League teams are on free and reduced lunch programs. We are driven to serve students who need this opportunity the most.
Bring the Youth Coding League to Your School!
Give your students a whole new purpose, highly sought-after career skills, better grades, and future-ready skills. We can't wait to be a part of your school community, so let's do this!Get Started